If you have certain files that contain sensitive information, one way to keep the contents private is to lock the folder with a password. If you store financial or health records on your computer, it’s a good idea to use some sort of additional security to keep these private.
How To Password Protect a Folder in Windows
- Select the file or folder you want to encrypt.
- Right-click on that file and select “Properties” in the drop down menu.
- On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
- Check the box next to “Encrypt contents to secure data”
- Click Apply and then click OK.
How To Password Protect Files & Folders On Windows 10
How To Password Protect a Folder on a Mac
- Open the Applications folder.
- Within the Applications folder, open the Utilities folder.
- Open Disk Utility. Then under “File” select “New Image”
- Choose “Image from Folder”
- Locate and select the folder you wish to protect and click “Open”.
- In the Image Format drop down, select “read/write”.
- In the Encryption menu select the Encryption protocol you would like to use.
- Enter the password you would like to use for the folder. Then click “Choose”.
- Name the new disk image and click “Save”. Click “Done”.
How to Password Protect Folders in MacOS
Why Should You Password Protect Your Files?
- Prevent Accidental Deletion: If you share a computer with someone else and are concerned that your important files could get accidentally edited or deleted, requiring a password to view or edit the file will keep that from happening.
- Additional File Security: In the event that your computer gets hacked or even stolen, if your files are password protected, it will make it more difficult for anyone to access your most important files.
- Best Password Manager & Password Generator Tools
- Make Privacy The Norm & Protect Yourself Online
- The Best Internet Privacy Tools in 2019